CIS 070 Test Out Skills
The following is the set of skills that we are teaching in the CIS 070 Class. We would expect students who test out of the course to have a general and working knowledge of the following computer skills.
Operating System Operations
- Run programs from the Start menu and shortcut
- Open and Save Documents in the correct drive or folder
- Use WordPad, Notepad, Paint, and Calculator
- Task switch among open applications using the Taskbar or other means
- Make and use new folders
- Copy, Move, Rename, and Delete files and folders in My Computer
- Copy, Move, Rename, and Delete files and folders in Windows Explorer
- Format a floppy disk (Zip disk or USB drive)
- Use the Copy Disk function
- Know how to determine space remaining on a disk and handle disk full errors
- Troubleshooting file properties
- Know basic file types
- Move, minimize, maximize and restore windows
- Use help
- Sharing data between applications (integrating software)
- Shut down Windows, properly
- Read and write file paths
- Recognizing the parent or child in a folder structure
- Write out a folder structure in the parent/child layout
- Construct a folder structure using a parent/child layout
- Recreate a folder structure on disk using a figure of a folder structure
Basic Safety Knowledge
- Know about viruses & virus protection;
- Know about centurion guards and their effect on the hard drives
- Know about troubleshooting common problems seen on WCC computers
- Use a web browser
- Use a search engine
- Know Web addresses
- Use bookmarks
- Be able to send and receive e-mail, with attachments
- Be able to download files
- Know the basics of cookies, cache and web history.
- Know Moodle basics
Web links for CIS 070 - Windows XP and Internet Usage
Windows XP Basics - Click here.
Using the mouse and a few other basic skills - Click here.
Has information that can be used for both Windows 98 and Windows XP - Click here.
Very Basic Computer _See Me Movies Tutorials - Click here.
Windows XP tutorial - Click here.
Some Basic Internet Terms - Click here.
Internet Basics - Click here.