What is the Placement Test and how will it impact my college career?
The placement test includes sections on Math, Reading, Writing and Computer Skills. The placement test determines where you will start your coursework at WCC. We offer a variety of classes to meet the needs of every student who enrolls. It is important that each student begins coursework where they will be most successful. The placement test can help us to determine which class will best meet your needs.
It is important to take this test very seriously and to do your best. Your starting point will affect your graduation date.
Do I need to take the placement test (Have you met any of the below criteria? If so, you may not need to take the placement test)?
- Have I previously tested (less than 5 years ago)?
- Do I have transfer credits?
- Do I meet multiple measures?
If you are unsure if you need to test, please call Counseling Services at 919-739-6732.
The NC DAP placement test consists of:
- DMA 010-060
- 72 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
- 30 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
- Revising/Editing Writing
- 20 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
- Writeplacer (essay)
- Multi-paragraphed 300+ word essay on a specified topic with a two-hour time limit.
- Computer Skills
- 4 True/False questions and 36 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
Scheduling Placement Test
Placement Testing is offered Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. Friday is reserved for students who need to retake only one section of the placement test or completion of an incomplete test. You must have a WCC Student ID number and a photo I.D. to take the placement test. Please call the Counseling Services Office at (919) 739-6732 or (919) 739-6743 to schedule your placement test.
- Students must present a valid photo ID to take the placement test.
- Students who arrive late by 15 minutes or more of their scheduled appointment time will be required to reschedule testing.
- Students who require special testing accommodations must contact Latisha Cowan, Disabilities Counselor, at least three (3) days prior to testing at 919-739-6729. All testing accommodations must be approved by the Disabilities Counselor.
- Students who will not be attending WCC, but who would like to take their placement test at WCC for another college are required to contact their home institution to have their placement test set-up to be remotely proctored at WCC. The student will still be required to schedule a testing appointment at WCC. It is the student’s responsibility to bring their Remote Testing Voucher to WCC on the day of testing. A $25 fee is required for remote testing for out of state colleges and must be paid to WCC before testing will be administered.
- Placement scores will be valid for five (5) years.
- Students are not allowed to bring calculators (calculators are built into the test).
- Scratch paper and pencils will be provided by WCC; students may not bring their own scratch paper.
Students may test twice per section within a one (1) year period, and must wait at least seven (7) days in between testing. Students are encouraged to seek remediation before retesting. During registration, first time testers have priority over retest students.
In an effort to ensure that proper placement is maintained, test scores must be less than five (5) years old. If an applicant/student has placement scores more than five years old and has not completed the appropriate DRE, DMA, or computer courses, he/she will be required to retest.