Distance Ed – Moodle Support – FAQS and Faculty How-tos
Dates for ONLINE courses
Basic WCC Online Instruction Best Practices
All instructors must use the WCC Online Course Template
Making a course Available/Unavailable to students
Comparing Rosters (Moodle vs Webadvisor)
Steps for dropping a student
Last Day of Attendance (How to obtain a student’s last day of attendance in Moodle)
Removing a student from a course
Adding a student to a course
Student initiated drops
Verifying the entry date for Online courses
Importing content from another course
How to back up a Moodle course
WCC Standards Checklist for Online/Hybrid Classes
Distance Education Department Contact Information
Moodle Template & Course Import Directions 2014
Please make sure you adhere to these dates.
16 WK & Fall I (Campus & SJAFB) = 7:00 a.m., January 6
Fall II (Campus & SJAFB) = 7:00 a.m., March 4
10% point: Online Courses
16 WK = January 15
Fall I (Campus & SJAFB) = January 9
Fall II (Campus & SJAFB) = March 11
Instructor Communication Guidelines – Please inform students what they should expect for communication/e-mail repsonse timeframe. Responding within 24 – 48 hours is advised, M-F is recommended.
Post assignment grades in a timely manner, preferably within one week of due date.
Topic 0 must include the following:
- A Welcome Message
- The “Enrollment Verification Quiz”
- A syllbus, adhering to the WCC syllabus template.
In addition, remove any other items or content if they will not be used for the course.
All courses are to set to Unavailable, on the first day of class Online and Hybrid courses will be made available. For Supplemental courses, instructors must make the course available when they are ready for students to view them.
Instructions to follow:
- Log in to Moodle and navigate to your course
- From your Settings block, click on Edit Settings
- Under the Availability section, click on the pull-down menu and select “This course is available to students”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘Save changes’
Instructors should compare their Moodle rosters to their official Webadvisor roster on a daily basis to ensure the correct students are in their course(s). Instructors should adjust their Moodle roster accordingly. (see dropping and adding students sections below). It is very important to regularly compare your Moodle roster to your “official” roster in WCC-Webadvisor. If a student is on your WCC-Webadvisor roster they are enrolled in your course. If they are not listed on your WCC-Webadvisor roster then they are NOT enrolled in your course.
Note: if a student is NOT on your official 10% roster they can be removed from Moodle without any further documentation.
To view your Official Webadvisor Roster:
To view your roster in Moodle:
It is very important that these steps are followed when dropping or adding a student in a Moodle course.
- Obtain the students LDA (last day of attendance)
- Officially drop (Datatel) the student out of your course, if the student has not already dropped
- Add the student to the dropped students list (Refer to the “Dropping or Adding a Student” page in your Moodle course located at the bottome of Topic 0)
- Remove the student from the course
Note: for Supplemental courses within Moodle, only steps 2 and 4 need to be completed.
- Click “Reports” in the “Navagation” block.
- Click “Logs”
- Select your student by clicking the “All participants” drop down box
- Change the current date to “All days”
- Click “Get these logs”
- The date at the top of the list indicates the student’s “last day of attendance”
- Click on the Users link in the Settings menu.
- Click Enrolled Users
- Find the student you wish to remove
- On the right hand side of the screen under the Enrollment methods column click the red X
- Confrim your selection by clicking continue
If a student is accidentally removed all of their information will be retained once they are added back into the course.
If a student is NOT on your official 10% roster they can be removed from Moodle without any further documentation.
- Click on the Users link in the Settings menu.
- Click Enrolled Users
- Click the Enroll users button in the upper right
- Type the students name in the search box
- Click Enroll to the right of the students name
- Click Finish enrolling users
Note: students must be officially enrolled in a course before you add them
If a student wishes to drop a course, it is their responsibility to contact the instructor to discuss the issue. The instructor should determine the reasons the student desires to drop and offer any resources available to assist the student in completing the course. If the conclusion is that the student should drop, the instructor should complete the appropriate form, including the last date of class attendance, or complete the drop process using Datatel. If the instructor is not available in person or by email or phone, the student should contact the department chair or departmental secretary to communicate this information to the instructor.
If the instructor needs to terminate the student due to excessive absences, he/she should make efforts to contact the student to discuss the circumstances. The instructor should then initiate the termination process through Datatel.
Part-time faculty members who do not have Datatel access should work with the department chair or departmental secretary to have drops/terminations processed through Datatel.
The ultimate responsibility for dropping students and terminating students falls to the assigned instructor for the course.
Students must log in and complete their enrollment verification quiz by the 10% point.
Lack of participation (student has not logged on within two weeks) and failure to make academic progress (student is not completing assignments) results in a student termination. This must be completed at the end of two weeks of inactivity! Do not wait until the end of the term. Please be prompt with terminations.
Students MUST complete either the “Enrollment Verification Quiz” prior to the 10% if they wish to stay in the course. If they do not complete the “Enrollment Verification Quiz” they MUST be immediately dropped as never attended and removed from the Moodle course even if they logged into the course.
For directions please download the following file: Enrollment Verification Directions
If you have Moodle questions or experience difficulties accessing the data in Moodle please contact the Distance Education office for further assistance.
Each semester you will be given a new shell for each one of your courses (created from the “WCC Master Template”). Once the templates are setup you should:
- Make sure all of your upcoming courses show up when you login to Moodle.
- Make sure they are named with the correct section numbers.
- Import content from your previous course, if you have not already done so.
If a course is missing or it isn’t named correctly please contact the Distance Education Department.
For directions please download the following file: Course Import Directions
There may be special circumstances that will require additional assistance. If any of these pertain to you please contact the Distance Education Department:
- You did not teach the previous course and can’t access it.
- You need additional instructors added to a course (ex Nursing dept)
- You wish to combine course sections.
- A full time instructor develops a course for an adjunct to use
Location: Wayne Learning Center 306
Fall and Spring Hours: M-Th 7:45AM – 5:30PM / Fr 8AM-1PM
Summer Hours: M-Th 7AM – 6PM
Coordinator of Distance Education
Distance Education Technician