Here is a quick rundown of the recommendations for online learners to help students prepare for online learning. Information ranges from prerequisites to technical requirements.
- Have completed any prerequisites for the course. Not all prerequisite courses are available online.
- Have a reliable desktop or laptop computer with Windows XP, Vista, or 7, or 8.
- Have a reliable Internet connection (dial-up is ok, but DSL or better is recommended).
- Be able to compose, send, and receive email with attachments.
- Have access to, and to be able to read, compose and save files using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint. These programs are included in the Microsoft Office program suite. Microsoft Works is NOT THE SAME.
- Be able to use an Internet browser (latest versions of Internet Explorer, FireFox, Google Chrome, or Safari (Mac users), conduct searches with various search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing or others) and download and/or upload files to or from the Internet.
- If needed, obtain or download additional software required for the course.
- Complete all coursework. In order to remain enrolled in the online course, Students must maintain academic progression. Students who have not accessed and/or participated in a course in any two week period may be dropped.
Prior to enrolling in a Distance Education course, students must see their advisor to review the WCC Distance Education: Student Assessment form to see if you are ready for an online course. This assessment will be used by your advisor to confirm you possess the abilities and technical resources to complete a Distance Education course.