February 2013 Exhibit: Black History Month

The theme for Black History Month of 2013 is “At the Crossroads of Freedom and Equality:  The Emancipation Proclamation and the March on Washington.”

Please visit the book exhibit for the month of February in the Erwin Library Reference display area.  Not only do these books give you more information about the Emancipation Proclamation, which reached its 150th anniversary on January 1, 2013, and the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, marking its 50th anniversary on August 28, 2013, but history and biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his poignant “I Have a Dream” speech delivered during the March, Rosa Parks, whose quiet defiance of Jim Crow laws on a Montgomery, Alabama bus began the civil rights movements of the twentieth century, and President Abraham Lincoln, whose determination to abolish slavery while reuniting the nation after civil war became the shining legacy of his life.

For all these book titles and their call numbers, as well as links to more web sites to explore, a “History of Civil Rights in the United States” is available on the Erwin Library webpage.  This rich history is intriguing and ongoing, so enjoy as you learn!

1. Chiedozie Said,

October 8, 2015 @ 1:24 am

Hi Anette! :-)Just had a look at some of your pictures from last days :-)Coincidentally a colupe of weeks ago I got a cold when I returned from London. For me personally it always starts with a sore throat then the following night the sore throat goes and sneezing and blocked up nose take over as well as feeling ill. Luckily though I had 4 days remaining of my annual leave so when I returned to work I was over the worst of it.I never buy souvineirs whenever I go to London. Instead I always seem to return with some germs or virus of some sort :-)I’ve read some of the previous comments about you been in hospital. Hope you’re ok :-)Have a nice evening Anette! :-)

2. http://w8sites.com/skillsforcare.org.uk Said,

November 20, 2015 @ 8:18 am

Information is power and now I’m a !@#$ing dictator.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI