Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If the Erwin Library does not own a book you need for your research, or an article you need is not available in any of the research databases available from the Erwin Library webpage, then you may request the library staff order a copy of the book or article from another library. This library-to-library lending is called Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
All ILL transactions for books and copies of articles are absolutely free to any Erwin Library patron who holds a current Erwin library card, with some restrictions, such as in-house use only of ILL materials for community patrons, for all patrons borrowing standard test manuals, or for WCC students should the item cost $100 or more.
It will usually take one to two weeks for a book to be mailed to the Erwin Library for you to pickup and use. Copies of articles are often faxed or emailed, which may take a much shorter time. You will be called or emailed by the ILL staff member at the Erwin Library when the book or article is ready for you.
You must present your Erwin Library card when picking up an ILL loan, though you may give your library card to a third person to pick up the item. The requestor is always responsible for the return of the materials in good condition.
There are several types of ILL request:
BOOK directly through the Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC)
A. For books not listed In the OPAC as held by the Erwin Library (i.e. Wayne in the “library” search box), but possibly held by another NC community college library (for more detailed guidance for searching for a title you wish to place on Hold, consult the OPAC Basic Search Guide):
- In “library” box choose ALL from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your search in the left hand box.
- Choose the appropriate type of search from the drop-down menu beside the right hand search box.
- Click the Search button.
- Choose a book title from the Search Results screen.
- Click on the blue title link for the book you’ve selected in the list.
- Click on the Place a Hold link to the left of the book record.
- In “user id” box enter your WCC Library barcode.
- In “pickup at” box always choose Wayne from the drop-down menu.
- Ignore the other boxes
- Click the Place Hold button.
BOOK directly through the WorldCat database
B. For books not listed in the OPAC at all, you may place an ILL request through the WorldCat database in the WorldCat database that lists holdings of libraries all over the world (for more detailed guidance for this option consul the guide: ILL Requests Using WorldCat):
- Search for a book by keyword, author or title.
- Click on the title of the item you want to borrow in the summary screen.
- In the screen record for the book, click the Borrow this Item link.
- Fill out the resulting online form with your first name, last name, phone number or email address at which you may be contacted when the item is received, and WCC Library card barcode number.
- Click the Submit button.
ARTICLE Online or In-Person at the Erwin Library
C. For journal articles not available in the research databases available from the Erwin Library webpage, fill out an online Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request form for ARTICLE, or fill out a paper form in person at the Erwin Library Circulation desk.