The Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) for the Erwin Library at Wayne Community College (WCC) may be searched in the library or from any remote computer with internet access. Reference staff at the Erwin Library Circulation Desk are always happy to help any patron search the library catalog in person or by phone at 919.739.6891, or ext. 6891 on-campus.
To Perform a Simple Search
(For more detailed guidance for searching the OPAC, consult the OPAC Basic Search Guide):
- Click on Search/Home or New Search option in the menu bar at the top of the catalog screen.
- In the right hand box of the search screen choose the type of search you wish to conduct from the drop-down menu; the “words or phrase” option equals a keyword search, good for a first exploratory search, if you do not know an exact subject heading, author name, or book title.
- In the “library” box choose Wayne from the drop-down menu to search items held in the Erwin Library at WCC.
- Enter your search words by typing them into the left hand search box.
- Click the Search button.
- In the resulting Search Results list, if you find a title that seems useful to you, click on the blue title link of the entry you’ve selected.
- From the bottom of the Item Details screen, note the item’s call number for locating it on the shelf of the Erwin Library.
- Also note down the special information to the right of the call number which will indicate that the item is either available or not available (not available means it is already checked out) and the Collection area in the library (such as General or Juvenile) where the item is shelved.
- To locate subjects used to identify the item, useful to you as subject searches for other similar books, click on the Catalog Record link beside the Item Information link and scroll down to the Subject term(s); the blue print means that you may click on that subject as a link to find other materials in the Erwin Library with the same subject heading.
- If you find useful subject terms, you may also note down the subject term and choose the New Search option; then, by using the Subject search type from the drop-down menu, type in that subject for another Results List.
Any Erwin Library patron may also renew items checked out to their Erwin Library account from a remote computer at home or in their office, simply by using their Erwin Library barcode.
Items may be renewed for one extra checkout period, until they show as overdue; the system will lock out a renewal on an overdue item. If the patron wants to check out an overdue item for another checkout period, he or she must bring the item back to the library in person, clear the overdue charges and then present an Erwin Library card to check out the item again.
To Renew Materials
(For more detailed guidance for renewing books in the OPAC before they are overdue, consult the OPAC Book Renewals Guide):
- Click My Account in the menu bar at the top of the catalog search page.
- Click Renew My Materials.
- Enter your library barcode number in the “user id” box.
- Click the List Charged Items button.
- To renew all of your materials at once:
- Click the Renew All button
- Click the Renew Selected Items button below your item list.
- Click OK button.
- To renew only selected items:
- Leave the Select Items to Renew button chosen.
- Click in the box(es) next to the item(s) you have selected to renew.
- Click Renew Selected Items button below your item list.
- Click OK button.
- When you are finished, click Logout (third option from the right on the menu bar which also includes the Go Back and Help options.)