Tobacco Free Campus
Wayne Community College is committed to providing students, employees and visitors with a clean, safe and healthy environment. Effective August 1, 2009, the WCC campus is tobacco free.
On November 25, 2008, the WCC Board of Trustees adopted the following Tobacco Use Policy: "All main campus and off-campus sites for Wayne Community College are designated tobacco-free. This includes all college facilities, vehicles, grounds, parking lots, classes, and college-sponsored events and activities." The policy is effective August 1, 2009, with punitive actions starting a year later.
Free Cessation Assistance
- Become an Ex "re-learn life without cigarettes" : www.becomeanex.org
- Online guide for first days and first year smoke free, plus other resources: www.smokefree.gov
- NC QuitLine: www.quitlinenc.com
- DHHS Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch: Web site.
- American Cancer Society Guide to Quitting Smoking: Web site.
- American Lung Association Smoking Cessation Support: Web site.
- Smoking Cessation for pregnant women and new mothers: Web site.
- Tobacco-Free Colleges site: www.tobaccofreeu.org
- Tobacco-Free N.C. Colleges: www.tobaccofreecollegesnc.com
- 100% Tobacco-Free Schools: www.tobaccofreeschoolsnc.org
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids: www.tobaccofreekids.org
- Tobacco Reality Unfiltered: www.realityunfiltered.com
- North Carolinians' stories: www.healthwellnc.com/trustories/
Free Smoking Cessation Classes
5:45 p.m. - 7:15 p.m. on Tuesdays, September 24 - November 12
Wayne Learning Center, Room WLC 161 ("Seminar Room" in the main building)
Pre-registration is required by calling the Wayne County Health Department at 919-731-1290.
Sponsored in collaboration with the Wayne County Health Department and the American Lung Association.
Classes are provided at no charge compliments of a grant provided by the American Lung Association.