Five After Five
Earn an Associate in Arts Degree in One Year
The Five after Five accelerated degree program at Wayne Community College allows students the opportunity to earn an Associate in Arts degree in one year. Courses will be completed during five 8-Week Mini-Semesters utilizing both online and face to face evening classes at WCC’s Seymour Johnson Air Force Base location.
Five after Five students must be 100% dedicated to the rigor of the program. The Five after Five cohort model will allow students to share their experiences and successes with the same classmates throughout the duration of the program.
To be eligible for the transfer of all college credits under the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement, students must graduate from the community college with an Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree and have an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses. Students who do not complete the degree are eligible to transfer credits on a course-by-course basis.
- Applications will be accepted until the programs fills.
- Applicant status notification: July 9th – 12th. There will be a mandatory orientation. Information for the orientation will be in your acceptance package.
- Classes begin: August 16
WCC’s Seymour Johnson Air Force Base campus is located in the Watkins Das Learning Center.
Download and view the Five after Five Application Packet for additional information.
- Apply online for admission to Wayne Community College at cfnc.org. Please select Associate of Arts – Five After Five as degree program of interest.
- Apply for residency status through www.ncresidency.org
- Send all official high school and college transcripts, ACT and/or SAT scores if needed, or take the placement test (Call Counseling Services at 919-739-6732 to schedule placement testing).
- Apply for Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA Application.
- Submit the Supplemental Five after Five Application form.
- Attend the Five after Five orientation. We will schedule this upon your acceptance to the program.
- Attend Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters
- Secure financial resources to complete program (i.e. FAFSA, self-pay, or scholarships)
- Meet with advisor every semester prior to and during registration
- Attend all classes in which you are enrolled
- Not withdraw from any course without permission from advisor
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 or above
- Seek academic resources, such as tutoring, as prescribed by either instructor or advisor
- Provide current contact information and update staff with any changes
- Reply to email and phone messages in a timely manner when contacted by faculty and staff
- Abide by all institutional policies regarding code of conduct and successful enrollment prior to the start of each 8-week semester
Five after Five Proposed A.A. Sequence
Semester 1 (Fall)
1st 8 weeks (8sh)
ENG 111 (3sh)- HYBRID
MAT 152 (4sh) – HYBRID
ACA 122 (1sh) – ONLINE
2nd 8 weeks (9sh)
ART 111 (3sh) – HYBRID
ENG 112 (3sh) – HYBRID
PSY 150 (3sh) – ONLINE
16 weeks (4sh)
BIO 110 (4sh) ONLINE
Semester 2 (Spring)
1st 8 weeks (13sh)
COM 231 (3sh) – ONLINE
PHI 240 (3sh) – HYBRID
SOC 210 (3sh) – ONLINE
ECO 251 (3sh) – HYBRID
2nd 8 weeks (12sh)
HEA 110 (3sh) – ONLINE
BUS 110 (3sh) – ONLINE
REL 110 (3sh) – HYBRID
HIS 131 (3sh) – HYBRID
Semester 3 (Summer) (14sh)
HUM 110 (3sh) – ONLINE
PED 110 (2sh) – ONLINE
BUS 110 (3sh) – ONLINE
PSY 241 (3sh) – HYBRID
Elective OR major Math requirement (3 or 4 sh)
Minimum Five after Five Qualification
1. Must be admitted to WCC with the intention of attending as a fulltime student.
2. Must meet one of the following:
- Minimum of 2.6 unweighted High School GPA
- Four High School math courses, and
- Graduated from a NC high school within the past 5 years
- WCC will evaluate ACT or SAT scores to determine if you are college-ready in math and English using the following scores:
English: ACT Reading 22 or ACT English 18, SAT Writing 500, SAT Critical Reading 500
Math: ACT Math 22, SAT Math 500
- Or take placement test and place into ENG 111 and MAT 152
3. Must be willing to attend classes online and on WCC’s Seymour Johnson Air Force Base campus.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license and valid car insurance and complete the necessary paperwork to obtain a Seymour Johnson Air Force Base visitor pass.
Preferred Five after Five Qualifications
- Unweighted High School GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Ability to utilize technology effectively to complete online course work
- Prior enrollment with earned credit hours towards the Associate in Arts degree
The Associate of Arts degree has 60-61 General Education credits required for graduation. The cost per credit hour is $76.00. Wayne Community College only charges for 16 hours of credit per semester, the cost savings each term would be as follows:
- Fall I & Fall II = 20 hours – 16 hours = a savings of $304.00
- Spring I & Spring II = 25 hours – 16 hours = a savings of $684.00
- By taking classes in an accelerated format students save a total of $988.00