Academic Skills Center
The Virtual ASC is open effective Wednesday, May 27th, 2020 for the Summer Semester on the following schedule:
- Monday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Wednesday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Thursday: 8:00am-8:00pm
- Friday: CLOSED
As a reminder, the ASC is operating virtually until further notice. This service is comparable to face-to-face tutoring and available through Google Meet. We are happy to help any WCC curriculum student attending WCC through the challenges of his or her classes. Tutoring sessions are conducted with chat, voice, and video.
For Students seeking support from the ASC, Writing Center, Math SI, and/or Accounting/Business Labs:
- Create a Google Plus account if you do not already have one. You must use your WCC student email. (The student email provided by WCC is a Google account you will have to upgrade to a Google Plus account. The upgrade is free. To upgrade to google+, click on the nine squares in the upper right hand corner in your WCC student Gmail and click on the Google+ icon, then follow the instructions.)
- Log in to Moodle.
- Click “Ask Billy” and then go to “Tutor Forum.”
- In the Tutor Forum, you will see the list of the available tutors, subjects of expertise, and availability. Click on their Meet link during the designated time to be virtually connected to an ASC Coordinator.
Instructions and available tutors are available through Moodle.
Thank you for your understanding and patience; we look forward to “seeing” you in our virtual ASC this summer!
The Academic Skills Center (ASC) is an educational support service available to Wayne Community College (WCC) students and community patrons. The ASC provides an informal environment for you to study with assistance from professional staff and peer tutors. All services provided are free of charge.
The ASC offers supplementary instruction through group study, one-on-one instruction, subject-specific open labs, and course-related worksheets. In addition to assisting you in understanding concepts taught in curriculum courses, the staff also assists in improving your study skills and in becoming independent learners.
Our Mission Statement
The purpose of the Academic Skills Center is to enable student learning by providing additional instruction and learning activities in an informal setting.
- To supplement classroom instruction
- To provide academic assistance to students and community patrons
- To encourage personal growth within the community
If you have questions or comments you may contact us at (919)-739-6711 or (919) 739-6748, you may visit us in the Wayne Learning Center, third floor, room 322A, or email at email@example.com.
“You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.” ~Clay P. Bedford