Phi Theta Kappa FAQ
As you consider accepting your invitation, see how Phi Theta Kappa’s credentials stack up:
- Access to nearly $246 million in scholarships to support every stage of your college career
- Join 3.8 million students who have accepted membership since our start in 1918
- Over 1,300 chapters in 10 nations — the largest footprint among similar organizations
- Access to a database of over 450 employers and partners makes starting your career after college just a click away
- Unlimited letters of recommendation for college admissions and employment opportunities
- Renowned leadership development and workforce preparation
- Access to PTK graduation regalia to distinguish yourself at your college commencement
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I received an invitation to join Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society via email and/or snail mail from somewhere that wasn’t Wayne Community College. Is this a real organization?
Yes, this is a legit opportunity awarded to you because of your hard work and dedication to your education. It is NOT a scam. The invitations are sent to you directly from our International Headquarters.
2. If I were to accept the invitation to join the Honor Society, what else would I be required to do? Are the specific courses I would have to take? Projects I would have to complete?
No, there are no additional requirements (other than maintaining an overall GPA of 3.0+) after you accept the invitation to join the Upsilon Chi Chapter of PTK. The more involved you are, the more you will gain from the organization, but we do not require you to take additional courses or complete projects.
3. I’m not certain I want to join the Upsilon Chi Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at this time. I can still join after I graduate, correct?
No, you cannot join after you graduate. This opportunity is only available while you are currently enrolled at Wayne Community College.
4. I’m confused about the membership fee. Can I pay in person? Or strictly online? How often to I have to pay the dues to remain a member?
Yes, there is a one-time, LIFETIME membership fee of $85 ($70 International/Regional fees, $15 Wayne Community College fee). The dues can only be paid online when accepting your invitation to join.
5. It’s not in my budget to accept the invitation to join right now, but I do want to join. Is there a payment plan to assist me in taking advantage of this opportunity?
No, we do not have payment plans for the membership fee, but there are scholarships available to help cover the cost of membership. They are available to students facing a financial need and are on a first come, first serve basis; two Golden Opportunity Scholarships from the International PTK Headquarters and two Bison Opportunity Scholarships from our current PTK student fund. If this is something you are interested in, reach out to Mrs. Holloman ASAP!
6. I am not planning to transfer to a university. Why should I accept the invitation to join?
The benefits of Phi Theta Kappa are NOT just transfer or work scholarships! Member discounts include betterhelp.com, StudyBuddy.Live, Travel Discounts, Enterprise, Dell, Lenovo, Hurst Review services, and so much more! Visit Phi Theta Kappa Member Benefits for more details. We recommend printing a copy of your membership card after joining to keep with you for reference at participating businesses.