Title IX, Clery, and VAWA: Different Laws, Similar Goals
Title IX is a comprehensive federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. The College is committed to providing a learning and working environment that is free of sexual misconduct and discrimination. The College considers sexual discrimination in all its forms to be a serious offense, including discrimination against pregnant and parenting students, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence (rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion) by employees, students, or third parties.
The Human Resources Director and the Counseling Services Director are the College’s designated Title IX Coordinators. They are responsible for coordinating the College’s efforts to comply with its obligations under Title IX and the Title IX regulations. These responsibilities include coordinating any investigations of complaints received pursuant to Title IX and the implementing regulations.
Harassment violates the College’s policy if it occurs because of a person’s gender, race, religion, color, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status, or any other classification protected by law. Any employee who engages in any form of unlawful harassment will be disciplined. Wayne Community College’s Human Resources Department provides harassment training as part of its new employee orientation. Any claim of unlawful harassment is thoroughly investigated by Human Resources and appropriate disciplinary action is taken, when necessary.
Wayne Community College complies with the Higher Education Opportunity Act requirement that it disclose campus crime statistics and security information. That information is collected, classified, and counted and is available for public inspection in the WCC Campus Police Department. Those statistics are reported annually to the U.S. Department of Education and are published for the campus community. The latest Campus Safety and Security Report is distributed to current students and employees, is made available to potential students and employees, and is posted on the college website.
The U.S. Department of Education provides more information on Title IX in it its document Know Your Rights: Title IX Prohibits Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Where You Go to School“.
Wayne Community College complies with the provisions of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Crimes committed on the College’s campus or facilities controlled by the College are reported to the Campus Police and Security Department and Campus Security Authorities. The Campus Police and Security Department, with cooperation from local law enforcement agencies whose jurisdiction surrounds the campus or includes off-campus sites, maintains records of those crimes and reports statistics for certain “Clery Crimes” in its annual Campus Safety and Security Report.
Crimes can be reported several ways:
1. Students, employees, and visitors can dial the Campus Police number, 919-739-7050 any time on any day.
2. Students, employees, and visitors can report crimes using the blue light phones that are located across the campuses. Emergency “blue light” phones are two-way call boxes located strategically. Emergency phones can also be found in all elevators.
3. Students, employees, and visitors may come to the offices of the Campus Police Department, located in the Wayne Learning Center, in person to report crimes.
4. Students, employees, and visitors can notify a Campus Security Authority (CSA) of a crime.
5. For crimes committed on Seymour Johnson Air Force Base (SJAFB), students, employees, and visitors who use the College’s facilities in the Watkins-Das Education Center can contact SJAFB Security Forces at 919-722-1211 or the Department of Defense Safe Helpline at 877-995-5247 for cases of sexual assault.
6. Sexual harassment or sexual violence can also be reported to the College’s Title IX Coordinators or to a Responsible Employee.