Placement Test (NC DAP) Information
What is the Placement Test and how will it impact my college career?
The placement test includes sections on Mathematics, Reading, Writing, and Computer Skills. These tests identify your strengths and needs in each subject area. The NC DAP test results determine course placement. Therefore, it is important to take this test very seriously and to do your best. The tests are computerized and untimed (except for Writeplacer – Essay) so you can move at a comfortable pace.
The NC DAP placement test consists of:
- Math (DMA 010-060)
- 72 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
READING and WRITING
- Reading (Reading Comprehension)
- 30 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
- Reading (Revising/Editing Writing)
- 20 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
- Writing (Writeplacer – Essay)
- Multi-paragraphed 300+ word essay on a specified topic with a two-hour time limit.
- Computer Skills
- 4 True/False questions and 36 multiple choice questions with no time limit.
Please call the Counseling Department at (919) 739-6732 if you have any questions about Placement Testing.
|TESTING DATES AND TIMES:
We now require an appointment for placement testing.
Monday – Thursday: 8:30am or 1:30pm
Friday: 8:30am (retesting only)
Please call 919-739-6732 to schedule your appointment.
- Students must present a valid photo ID to take the placement test.
- Placement scores will be valid for five (5) years.
- Students are not allowed to bring calculators (calculators are built into the test).
- Students may not bring their own scratch paper. Scratch paper and pencils will be provided by WCC.
Students may test twice per section within a one (1) year period. Students must wait at least seven (7) days in between testing. Students are encouraged to seek remediation before retesting. During registration, first time testers have priority over retest students.
Sample test questions for students include the NC DAP Combined Mathematics and English/Reading Sample Question Guide and the WCC Computer Placement Test Review.