CARES Act – May 2020
CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund
The Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES) was signed into law to provide financial support (economic relief) to students who were impacted by the interruption of classes due to the pandemic emergency.
- What is the CARES Act Emergency Grant?
This grant will provide financial assistance to students related to the interruption of campus operations due to the pandemic/emergency for such expenses including food, housing, transportation, course materials, technology, health care and childcare.
- Who is eligible for the CARES Emergency Grant funds?
Students who meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in eligible Spring 2020 courses as of March 13, 2020. This is the date WCC suspended campus classes to prepare for online course completion.
- Enrolled in an eligible degree, diploma or certificate program.
- Eligible to receive Federal Title IV financial aid program by (1) completion of 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file, (2) be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, have a valid Social Security number (SSN), (3) registered with Selective Service if male, and (4) have a high school diploma, GED completion, or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting.
- Must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as required by WCC. Learn more about SAP for WCC students.
- Must have incurred expenses as a result of the interruption of classes.
- How does WCC plan to disburse CARES Act Emergency Grant funds to students?
The College has received specific instructions to provide funding directly to students. Therefore all eligible students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $5576 or less may receive an amount up to $750 based on enrollment status as of March 13, 2020 .For students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) greater than $5576, may receive an amount up to $500 based on enrollment status as of March 13, 2020.
- When will the CARES Act Emergency Grant funds be available?
WCC is working hard to provide these funds directly to students in a timely manner. Please continue to monitor your WCC Self Service account for up to date Student Account information.
If you have questions about the CARES Act Emergency funds, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly at email@example.com.